Every once in a while I go to the farmer’s market to get some Chioggia beets. These striped beets make a splash in a tasty salad with quinoa, blue cheese, walnuts and arugula.
About the beets:
If you can’t get the Chioggia beets, you can use regular beetroots. The taste of regular beets is more pronounced and they need longer to cook.
About rinsing the quinoa:
Most types of quinoa contain a coating that can give off a bitter taste. To be on the safe side, rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve until the froth is gone.
- 200 grams (~ 1 1/2 cups) of quinoa
- 4 Chioggia (or regular) beets
- 75 grams (1/2 a cup) of arugula leaves
- 115 grams (1 cup) of medium-hard blue cheese
- a handful of walnuts
- 6 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of fine mustard
- 1 shallot
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut the stems off the beets.
- Boil the beets: around 20 minutes for small Chioggia beets: up to 1 hour for regular or bigger beets. Poke with a fork to check if they are tender.
- Rinse the quinoa.
- Boil the quinoa for ten minutes.
- After the beets have cooled down a bit, peel and cut them in rings.
- Finely chop the shallot.
- Mix the ingredients for the vinaigrette: starting with the mustard, vinegar and shallot. Mix until smooth, then add the sunflower oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the salad in a big bowl. Layer the quinoa, arugula and the beets.
- Crumble the cheese and the walnuts over the salad.
- Add the vinaigrette just before serving.
- Bon appetit!