Guacamole! Oh, glorious guacamole! Everybody has their own take on this classic dip; I like to keep mine simple.
I picked up this recipe when I was a student working as a bartender in Amigo, a Mexican restaurant in Tilburg, the Netherlands. The restaurant no longer exists, but the recipe is still going strong. It’s always a hit at parties. Stock up on extra avocados because people will be asking for more!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 of a tomato or 1 cherry tomato
- 1/4 of a red onion
- 1/2 a lime
- salt and pepper
- Chop the tomato and onion in very small pieces. Put in a bowl.
- Peel and de-stone the avocados, cut the flesh in chunks and mash with a fork on the cutting board. Add the mashed avocado to the bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of the lime out over the bowl.
- Mix everything together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with plain tortilla chips.
- Happy dipping!
- Chop the pieces of tomato and onion in bigger pieces if you like chunky guacamole.
- Careful with adding salt: your tortilla chips might be very salty already.