Brighten your lunch with this healthy, filling and colorful pasta salad.
I like to make an effort to bring homemade lunch to the office that’s not only tasty, but good for me too. This pasta salad with beetroot, blue cheese and avocado can be easily prepared and assembled. All you need to do ahead is cook the pasta and collect the other ingredients. Whip up a basic vinaigrette and you’re good to go!
- 75 grams (2,5 oz) of dry pasta (I use pipe rigate - shells)
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small beetroot (I use the pre-cooked ones)
- 30 grams (1 oz) of blue cheese¹
- 1 handful of rocket lettuce
- 1/2 a ripe avocado
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar²
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the pack; a bit beyond al dente is best for cold use. Let it cool down before use. You could do this the night before.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes, slice the beetroot into bitesize cubes, crumble the cheese into small chunks. Assemble the pasta, tomatoes, beetroot and cheese on a plate.
- Mix the ingredients for the vinaigrette into a small bowl until you have a smooth dressing.
- Scoop out the flesh of the avocado with a spoon, then slice. Keep this step until just before serving, so the avocado doesn't turn brown from exposure to the air.
- Add the avocado to your plate and drizzle over the vinaigrette.
- ¹You can use Gorgonzola, Roquefort, Blue Castello or Danish Blue, whichever tickles your fancy. For the stronger kinds, use less in the salad, otherwise it can get overwhelming.
- ²If the vinaigrette turns out too acidic for your taste, add olive oil. If it's not acidic enough, stir in more drops of vinegar.